Sunday, October 29, 2006

St. Andrews

So Laura and I decided to skip town on my half day off - friday, and we headed up to St. Andrews. It was a fantastic trip! We passed near the place where she used to work (I don't know how to spell it, so I won't try) and we pulled off at this gorge. It was amazingly beautiful! It was so great to get out of the city. My inner history geek came alive as we approached St. Andrews. St. Andrews was the center for Christianity through much of the latter Medieval period. It is full of old walls and gatehouses. She was insane and let me drive, and it was cool to drive through a gatehouse that people most likely walked through 700 years ago. While in St. Andrews we toured the castle. On the grounds is this old mine/countermine that attackers dug in order to undermine/collapse the walls of the castle. The defenders dug a countermine and met the attackers and killed them. The countermine had been dug very hastily and it was narrow and twisting and dark. I could easily imagine the men's fear and fervor as they dug and what it must have felt like to the attackers when all of a sudden they were face to face with the defense. We didn't play golf, but we did pass the golf course. We ended up enjoying fish and listening to the waves. All in all, a fun day.

1 Comments:

At 9:44 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

What a neat picture! I didn't realize there were such things in Scotland. It looks like eastern Tennessee. :) Cool about the town and the tunnels too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home